What causes decreased urination?

General Surgeon
Question
I find that I am not passing water as I should. I may urine once or twice for the day..
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Urine amount generally depends of the kidneys function and fluids volume in the blood stream. So the reason of such situation can be very simple - low fluids intake (urine is usually darker in such case) or it may be much more complicated - chronic kidneys failure.
Other reasons like fluids loss due to diarrhea, vomiting, sweating or bleeding should be also considered.
I suggest you to increase fluids intake up to 3 liters/a day. It should cause increased urine amount almost right away. If it wont help, please consult your doctor. You should have urine analysis, blood work, protein level, creatine level checked and abdominal ultrasound done. If you have legs swelling, heart condition should be also checked.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: What causes decreased urination? 32 minutes later
Thanks for your prompt answer.. I do have leg swelling and had it checked out several times by my dr. only to come back normal.. during the night I get up frequently to urinate.. but since the lack of urine I hardly get up at all..I must say though my fluid intake is very poor, this may be one cause.. I am diabetic and always have my kidneys check on a regular basis for fear of beginning signs of problems.. and each time they say it's normal.. no signs of problem.. non the less, I have been noticing that I do not urine regularly. I believe you may be right.. I will try drinking more and see what happens.. oh, I forgot to tell you my urine is not dark in color.. it's yellowish..

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
So as you have everything under control, low fluid intake seems most probable reason indeed. You may add cranberries juice to your diet - it helps with kidneys function as well and prevents from infection. If diabetes is well controlled, kidneys function should be fine as well. Urinary tract infection is what you should check as well as diabetes makes you prone to such infection.

Regards.

Follow-up: What causes decreased urination? 9 minutes later
I have it in control as far as what you told me to do.. you set my mind at ease.. I was so worried about my kidneys.. that is why I get it checked so frequently.. I will start drinking the cranberry juice.. I like the fact that you recommended that.. thanks again.. good work..

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.