What causes coughing in a child?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Tue, 10 Oct 2017 in General Health
Question: My child is 8yrs old, she started coughing as early as two years, she's been in doctors (GP)in and out, they always give her antibiotics,now I decided to take her to a pandit ricin, he gave her aspelone to use for 5days 5ml morning and night, she responded just for a day , she's now coughing that barking cough, she also did some blood tests,we are still waiting for results
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please upload the reports once you get them.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. There are two broad things to consider. The first is a condition called cystic fibrosis where the mucus gets thickened and therefore the child becomes prone to such episodes. Two main tests can be used to diagnose cystic fibrosis:
* sweat test – a test to measure the amount of salt in sweat, as the sweat of someone with cystic fibrosis has higher levels of salt than normal.
* genetic test – where a sample of blood or saliva is checked for the faulty gene that causes cystic fibrosis. You do not need to consider it in the first place.

The second is due to an allergic cause. Some children are more prone to catching cold and recurrent episodes are seen. Giving Montair LC Kid (monteleukast + levocetirizine, prescription medicine) should help.

Let me know if I could help further.