What causes cough in a child while on Azithral?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in Child Health
Question: My child is 4 years old she has a cough which comes back while she is sleeping in the night. She is been on cough syrup coriminic/orange cs. It's been quite a long the couch still existing. Can I give her Azithral liquid 200.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Most often such a cough is due to an allergic component. In such a case giving Azithral will not help and I will advise against it. Giving Montair LC Kid (monteleukast + levocetirizine, prescription medicine) should help. Cetirizine is an over the counter alternative that can also be given instead.

If your child is otherwise active and playful, I would not be concerned. If not, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor and to get the child evaluated.

You need to give steam inhalation to your child. It helps in reducing the congestion and thereby the cough. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng