What causes chronic cough?

Dr. Arun

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Sat, 27 Sep 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have had a cough for about 3 weeks following aa URI. I have tried OTC meds along with Tessalon pearls. I don't feel sick other than this cough which is worse at night and keeps me from sleeping. Any advice?
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Put clove if its URTI in the mouth

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX, we wish you a very best wish here at health care magic. I am Dr Arun Tank M.B.B.S.; M.D.& I am infectious disease specialis
t. I hope I can handle your query very well.
Very sad to hear about your 3 weeks cough. Cough has very wide etiology, we have to filter out some of the causes. Which I have elaborate below.
You have not mentioned about whether it is associated with Sputum or not? Because long duration of cough with sputum may be a tuberculosis.
Many times cough may be allergic, in that condition its only dry cough & has high eosinophils which get clogged in respiratory system to create symptoms of cough. In this I case Isuggest you can discuss with your treating Doctor regarding doing complete Blood Count which show up eosinophilia.
Some times cough arises when you lie down the reason is pressure on respiratory tract that cause symptoms of cough. In that case you can discuss bronchodialator with your treating Doctor.
Sometimes URTI is a Viral in origin which I suspect in your case. In this case cough only last for maximum 4 weeks. As you have already taken antibiotics there is no question arises of secondary bacterial infection. In this particular case I suggest you one simple home made and very effective remedy is just put a clove in your mouth. Do not chew it, do not swallow it. Cough will disappear immediately. But this is only a temporary cure to relieve you from major symptom of cough.
Many a times two or three things mentioned above can be in a combination to produce cough.
You can filter the underlying problem amongst the thing I have discussed with you.
I hope I handle your query well to solve your problem. I will be happy if I can help you on anything. Thank you for your contact to healthcare magic. We wish you a besthealth.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D