What causes buzzing sensation in the body and tremors after increasing Lexapro dosage?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 11 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Ok, I took Lexapro for more than 7 yrs and got off in Aug. Then in Nov. notice some down moments and decided I may need to return to the Lexapro which worked for me very well. Need to mention that I retired and thought everything was great and didn't need this med anymore. Went to the Pysch that put me on Lexapro. 5 mg. for 1 wk, 10 mg. 3 wks and he took me to 20 mg. That was a nightmare, could not sleep, body buzzing, shaking, throwing up, thought I was dying. Went to see him and he stopped the Lexapro said I was having side effects. But I took that med without any problems for 7 yrs +. Gave me Lorazepam to take to help sleep and come back in 14 days. Went back and he gave me Trazodone 50mg. First 2 weeks had some side effects but sleep was ok, 3rd week everything went down hill. As before, could not sleep for the body buzzing, sweat, shaking. Went back to him and he stopped and said appeared that I was not handling the seratonia in the meds. Gave me Temazepam to sleep since I had not really not slep in 4 days. HAVE not taken this since I am over all these meds in my body and side effects. I have been taking the Lorazepam for the last two nights. He did order blood work to see if anything else was going on. I have call my MD/ Doctor to see her on Friday as she is not aware of what has been going on with me. I am about ready to ditch the Psych and work with my health care Dr. and has all my records. The only thing different since I stopped the Lexapro in Aug is that I am now on Levothyroxine .05mg and those levels are fine. Can you help me understand what has happened to me and why could I not have been able to start the Lexapro since I had taken it for yrs. without any side effects. I need all the info I can get. HELP
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rapid titration could be the reason

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

From the available description it appears to me that rapid increase in lexapro resulted in problem. I do not find any rationale to go 20 mg from 10 mg as there is need to increase it slowly at the increments of 5 mg rather than 10 mg in a go.

The second thing could be hypersensitivity of serotonin receptors after years of use. It is not uncommon to find that same drug do not have effects after discontinuation because there is upgradation of receptors and they may not be responsive to earlier effective medication.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions I will be glad to assist you further.
If you do not have more questions, please close the discussion and if possible rate the answer for my future patients.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
OK, I understand the rapid increase in the Lexapro but then to switch to other Med. Trazodone and it made me sick, why. Too much meds in such a short period of time? Did the increase in Lexapro make me sensitive to that Med also in such a short period of time? I have taken more drugs in the past 3 months than I have had in a year! How do I get back to normal?

I sill have the shakes at night, sweat, Not as bad since I took the Lorazepam to help sleep. Upset stomach. Is this because I still have this Med. Trazodone in my system. Last took it Mon. night. When will this go away. Over taken meds that make me sick, enough to depress you. HELP
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

As you might be knowing after seven years of use of lexapro, the antidepressants are slow to act and have propensity to cause side effects. In my opinion with advancement of age Starting low and going slow is most important thing, which was not followed in your case.

The rapid increase/add on dosage of different medications complicated the problem rather than helping it.

I will request you to keep yourself with 10 mg of lexapro and 1-2 mg of Ativan. Stop all other medications after discussing your doctor and in a period of less than one week you will be as normal as your third week of treatment with lexapro.

I understand that it is not easy to tolerate even one day of sleepless night and if the problem is there take very low dose of APs such as 12.5 or 25 of quetiapine which is quite safe in elderly and have least potential to cause side effects.

I hope this helps you further.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 18 hours later
At a low doze and going slow will I have side effects that will go away and hopefully not to the extent that I have had the last two months. Scares me.......
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

Starting low and going slow have least propensity to cause side effects as it ensures adequate time for body to adjust with new molecule in body.

I hope this helps you further.

Thanks and regards.
My Dr./MD which I met with yesterday started back the Lexapro at 5mg for 3 wks and come back to see her. Told me to use the Ativan during the day if needed. Still had the buzz last night while sleeping but not as bad as before. How long do you thing it will take for the buzz and anxiety to go away?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

Generally it takes one to two weeks for settling down these symptoms. It is possible that buzz will be settled down earlier than anxiety.

I hope this clarifies further.
Thanks and regards
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 45 hours later
3rd day on Lexapro and I don't feel good. Sick at my stomach and can't eat. Buzz and shaking break out in sweat CAN'T SLEEP WITHOUT WAKEING UP AND FEELING THIS WAY. When do I know if I can't take this Lexapro anymore or do I give it more time. How often can I take the Ativan.
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

The Ativan can be taken on need basis upto 4 mg per day. The effective dose range falls at one to four mg and I feel you should try to use it as least as possible but not at the cost of suffering.

As communicated relayer it takes at least two weeks to settle down the anxiety. If there is limited response by end of two weeks it is time to increase dose and the same cycle can be continued till there is complete response.

I hope this clarifies further.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 3 hours later
Did not have the anxiety till I started the Lexapro! Started back on the Lexapro because of low mood.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

It is uncommon to have increased anxiety after start of lexapro use but if occurs, it settles down in a period of one week.

I hope this assists you.

Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 10 hours later
stopped the Lexapro 3 day in because it made me so sick! Call into my Dr. Is there any med out there for mild mood and few side effects? Maybe I don't need anything.....
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

In case there is mild mood symptoms you can try 5 HTPn which is natural supplement and helps in anxiety and mood symptoms.

I hope this helps you.
Thanks and regards.