• question-icon

What causes buzzing and discomfort in ear after cleaning it?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi doctor, earlier today I was cleaning my ears and I think I blocked one, it's very annoying and I can't hear properly. I bought otocerum and used it a few hours ago. I feel like it's gotten worse. I now hear buzzing. Will I continue using it? I followed the instructions the pharamacist gave me but unfortunately the instructions in the box are in Spanish. Please help!
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please continue using the wax solvent...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query to HCM..

According to your description, you seem to have pushed the cerumen deep into the canal. This was the earlier reason for the ear block. To relieve the block you tried using the wax solvent. After using the wax solvent the cerumen has swollen because it has absorbed all the moisture. That's the reason you are having tinnitus with worsening of the blockage.

Do not worry! It is quite normal. You please continue using the wax solvents for couple of days and consult your doctor for a thorough aural toilet.

Hope this answers your query. Revert back to me if you have any follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 10 hours later
Is it necassary to go to the doctors to get an aural toilet or will the ear drops itself not clear the blockage?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consult your doctor if the blockage persists even after 2-3 days.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back

Seldom the wax gets dissolves completely and clears off. If you feel the blockage is still persisting even after using the drops for 2-3 days; you should consult your doctor for an aural toilet.

Hope this clears your doubts. Wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist