• question-icon

What causes burning sensation in the vagina?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I thought I had a UTI about ten days ago. I went to MD and a urinalysis showed that it was not an UTI. I began treating myself with over the counter yeast treatment. I have gone thru two three-day courses of medication and continue to have burning and discomfort. about two hours ago, I put the cream on the outside surfaces that were irritated and went to bed. I am now wide awake, uncomfortable and feeling like something else is going on. what do I do now? it is one am.

is anyone out there working on my problem? I paid my $$
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please report to your health care provider immediately.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for sharing your health concern with us.

It appears that you may have developed some reaction to the application and I would suggest that you report to your health care provider immediately for a proper examination and further management.

For a urinary tract infection, it is not always necessary to show in the urinalysis. In such instances, culture is useful.

Vaginal infection should be diagnosed properly and treated appropriately. A vaginal swab test is ideal.

Treatment for vaginitis should not be self-medicated. It should be prescribed by a specialist.

Treatment should be given until the infection subsides and further on, prophylaxis is given for 3-6 months.

Do not douche or use strong soap solutions to clean the genital region. You can use cold compression to relieve the burning sensation.

Hope you find this information useful. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN