• question-icon

What causes burning sensation during urination?

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Today I had dilation done by my urologist. He said expect bleeding for 2-3 hours, but I,m still having light bleeding when wiping after 6 hours and bad burning when I pee.
I remember many years ago that Mayo Clinic did this and told me to drink a lot of water and that certain foods or liquids were more soothing vs burning. What are good drinks or food for tonight and tomorrow. My dr. Is not in tomorrow.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is nothing to be worried about bleeding

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

You seem to have undergone endoscopic calibration of Urethra where narrowed fibrous urethra is dilated by an instrument called Urethrotome .

This causes minor tears of the fibrous tissue that causes bleeding from urethra for few hours .This period may extend up to 12 -18 hours depending upon the injury
however this bleeding stops spontaneously .

Drinking more water and soothing drinks like Barly water does help to get relief.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist