What causes burning sensation at the base of penis?

Dermatologist
Question
Had protected sex and a few days later noticed a friction burn at base of penis. Could this cause hiv infection? I know the condom was tight and there is some hair at the base where the burn friction appeared.
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Does not indicate HIV infection

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

I understand from your query that you had protected sexual intercourse and are now concerned about HIV infection.

Burning sensation at the base of the penis does not indicate HIV infection.

It could be due to friction and you may benefit from applying an antifungal powder twice day for 2 weeks.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Johny Chacko

Follow-up: What causes burning sensation at the base of penis? 6 minutes later
Thank you for your swift response. There is no pain involved and the burn is not that large, my concern was how it is at the base of my pens and how the condom could possibly move up during intercourse if there is a risk of exposure due the location of the burn with vaginal fluids possibly coming in contact with friction burn. Did not notice there was a burn there until few days after intercourse.

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please upload a picture

Detailed Answer:

Irritation and intertrigo usually occurs at junctions of body folds like the groin folds and even the junction between the penile shaft and the pubis.

You have mentioned initially that the condom was tight. So it is highly unlikely that the vaginal secretion should come in contact with the irritated skin. Also, for a person to get HIV infection, there must be significant contact with the mucosa. Abraded skin will not pose a big risk.

In any case, you have a feature to upload the images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can see the type of lesion and answer your query better. You can also send the image as attachment to YYYY@YYYY , with the subject as 'Attn: Dr. Johny Chacko'.

Dr. Johny Chacko

Follow-up: What causes burning sensation at the base of penis? 8 hours later
I attached the photos doctor and the burn I mentioned is in between my index finger in the pics.

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry

Detailed Answer:

Greetings.

I have seen the clinical picture that you have uploaded.

Do not worry. It does not look like an abrasion also. It is very mild and you could just apply a moisturizer or petroleum jelly twice a day for it to heal.

This will not pose a risk of HIV transmission.

Hope this puts your mind at ease.

Wishing you good health,
Dr. Johny Chacko