• question-icon

What causes burning sensation and a feeling of pelvic organ prolapse while urinating?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I feel like when I have to pee my insides are falling down and it is a burning sensation
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible pelvic prolapse

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Well that sounds uncomfortable. What you are describing may be prolapse of your uterus or bladder or both. This can happen if we have had babies in the past, and then in middle or older age, the ligaments loose their tightness and the organs push down. This doesn't usually cause a burning sensation, but if you have gone thru menopause a while ago, I suppose it can from decreased estrogen. Do you think it might be possible that you have a bladder infection also, given the burning sensation?

So what to do...

See your gynecologist who can check for prolapse or other causes by doing a bimanual pelvic exam. If that is the case there are usually a few options:
Kegel exercises if the prolapse isn't too bad; and possibly estrogen vaginal cream for the burning
A pessary to hold things up
Surgery

It might also be a good idea to get a urinalysis since you might have a UTI in addition.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh