• question-icon

    What causes burning sensation and a feeling of pelvic organ prolapse while urinating?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I feel like when I have to pee my insides are falling down and it is a burning sensation
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible pelvic prolapse

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Well that sounds uncomfortable. What you are describing may be prolapse of your uterus or bladder or both. This can happen if we have had babies in the past, and then in middle or older age, the ligaments loose their tightness and the organs push down. This doesn't usually cause a burning sensation, but if you have gone thru menopause a while ago, I suppose it can from decreased estrogen. Do you think it might be possible that you have a bladder infection also, given the burning sensation?

So what to do...

See your gynecologist who can check for prolapse or other causes by doing a bimanual pelvic exam. If that is the case there are usually a few options:
Kegel exercises if the prolapse isn't too bad; and possibly estrogen vaginal cream for the burning
A pessary to hold things up

It might also be a good idea to get a urinalysis since you might have a UTI in addition.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1991

Answered : 3138 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Uterus

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am now 12 weeks post op. I had a TAH and still have my ovaries. I had a vertical abdominal incision about 8 cm in length. I had a fibroid in...

doctor1 MD

I had a pelvic ultrasound and my uterus has a 1.5 cm lining of endometrium. Last period was one month ago. I am 53. What can I do to start my...

doctor1 MD

Hi dr. I am on a mirena 20 days ago.It was inserted in the first day of my period to reduce very heavy menstrual bleeding. I am 48 years old with a...

doctor1 MD

I am writing to you for my wife who is suffering from back and leg pain. She was diagnosed with disc prolapse and we got medical advise that the...

doctor1 MD

Why do I have pain in the bladder area and irritation in the vagina after sex it lasts for days. Iam 80 years old

doctor1 MD

What should be the normal cervical length during each stage of pregnancy?

doctor1 MD

Hi doctor, I have PCOD and prominent symptoms of it like facial hairs, lethargy , thinning of hair, irregular period with gaps of 2-3 months...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

156 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh
  • Q - Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain

  • Q - What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose

  • Q - What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?

  • Q - What causes pain near the navel area?

  • Q - What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?

  • Q - Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation

  • Q - Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle

  • Q - Suggest medication for ADHD

  • Q - Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis