What causes bulging of veins on foot?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Veins and Arteries
Question: What does it mean when your veins in particularly your left foot bulge? I am a hair stylist so I am on my feet for hours at a time. I have RA too.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Varicose veins

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

The bulging of the veins is common in professionals who stand for long hours like surgeons, traffic police, hair stylists, etc. This is because of gravity pulling the blood down through the weakened valves.
Most of the times they are asymptomatic not causing any harm. However if they enlarge too much then you will have to undergo sclerotherapy

I advice you the following

1. Do not buy expensive creams to 'cure' these veins. None of them will work
2. Avoid standing for long hours, give rest to your legs by keeping them up on a coffee table or at a height
3. Approach a surgeon if you become symptomatic. Symptoms usually seen are dull aching pain in the legs and itchiness
4. Tight stockings will help improve blood circulation

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

I wish you good health

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 11 hours later
Thank you.for answering me so fast. Your answer was very helpful, thanks!
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thank you

Detailed Answer:
Hello

It was my pleasure helping you out.
You could also write a nice review about me, it makes me happy.