What causes bulging eyes while having thyroid disease?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: My Husband has had his left eyeball larger than the right for quite some time now. This Happened after he lost 80 lbs in a one years time. After a year with this, i finally got him to go to an Endocrinologist which he was found he has a slight thyroid condition. He was then referred to an ophtalmologist in which his appt is not until the end of the month. Cant get another appt elsewhere because of our insurance, What could this be?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
probably from the thyroid condition

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for the question.
It is likely that his eyeball is not really bigger but that it is just protruding more than the other. This is a common condition in some thyroid diseases where the tissues around the eye enlarge and push the eyeball forward. it is called exopthalmos and can happen in one or both eyes. Sometime it is reversible and sometimes it is not. It can result in complications like dry corneas so I am glad that he is seeing an ophthalmologist.
Other conditions that can make an eyeball protrude are cyst and tumors so you really need to make sure that it is from the thyroid disease and not from some other cause.
I wish you the best,
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 9 minutes later
Thank you kindly for your quick response and thorough information. Yes you are correct its protruding. I will make sure my husband sees this answer. Thanks again.
best regards;
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you are welcome

Detailed Answer:
I am glad he has an appointment to see the ophthalmologist. I hope he gets an answer soon. If his eye is feeling dry then he can use some natural tears preparations until he sees the ophthalmologist
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 7 minutes later
Yes eye, has been a bit dry and gritty at times, so I purchased some over the counter visine eyedrops. I will get instead the natural tears. Thanks again for your advise. Very helpful indeed!
Brief Answer:
yes natural tears would be better

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome
Best to you and your husband
Dr. Robinson