Owl Image

What causes bulge in abdomen after appendix removal?

Owl Image
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Question
I recently had my appendix removed and part of my cecum I'm feeling a bulge like a ball in the area of my small intenstine. It's not painful, what could it be? It's located to the right a little lower than my left breast.

Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Small intestines are located all over the abdomen and almost every region of abdomen can contain it. I assume that the bulge is in the upper right abdomen?
If so, gallbladder can be palpable as a bulge like in this area.
If the bulge is in the scar area, hernia is the most probable reason of a lump. Such lump should be soft in touch and get smaller when lying down.
The best way to find out what are you dealing with is to have an ultrasound done. Otherwise it will be really hard to guess what exactly it is.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.