question-icon

What causes breast cancer?

Posted on Wed, 27 Jul 2016
Question: I have a friend her physical examination is completely normal, except for a 2-cm firm, nontender, nonmobile mass in the upper outer quadrant of her left breast. She indicates that she does not perform regular breast self-examination and that she did not know the mass was there. She has no family history of breast cancer and has never been pregnant.

•What term is used to describe the benign condition that may have caused her breast mass?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant (58 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Needs definite diagnosis at the earliest.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query and concerns about your friend.
2 cm firm, non-tender, non-mobile/immobile mass in upper outer quadrant of her left breast.
Non-mobile mass has to be investigated immediately by FNAC and biopsy if required to get a proper diagnosis and treatment as these tests are the only definite diagnostic procedures to know whether this is a cancerous lesion or is benign.
Mammography, ultrasound all help in assisting the diagnosis.

Benign conditions of the breast are Fibroadenosis and fibroadenoma (freely mobile)
I hope this answers your specific queries and helps your friend for the earliest proper diagnosis and proper treatment. Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant (17 minutes later)
Thanks for the answer.

So Fibroadenosis and fibroadenoma are the term used to describe the benign condition that may have caused her breast mass?

What is the most common type of breast cancer?

What is inside the cysts of fibrocystic breast disease
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
As detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, they are the terms used depending upon the type of the lesion

Invasive ductal carcinoma is the commonest type of cancer in the breasts.
There is a fluid inside the cysts of the fibrocystic breast disease.

I hope this answers your queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon