Is mammography safe while still on breastfeeding?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Tue, 22 May 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: This question is regarding mammography screening for my wife as a part of Annual Health Checkup. She is 30 year old and we have a 1.8 year old daughter who is still on breast feeding. I have a corporate health checkup package which also has mammography covered. Since my wife is just 30, I thought of skipping this test along with chest X-Ray and doing all other tests just to avoid unnecessary exposure to radiation. Kindly provide your opinion on whether skipping these tests are ok or you still advise doing this as part of the package? What is your opinion on radiation exposure through these tests?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not advised

Detailed Answer:
hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Mammography is not at all indicated below 35 years of age because of the risk of radiation involved.
Even if there is any breast pump or disorder, ultrasound of the breast is advised below 35 years of age, as it gives better result.
Chest X Ray is also not recommended if there is no chest related or breathing issues.
She can totally skip the two tests.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad