What causes blurred vision?

Excellent

Question
For the past 2 weeks or so my vision will go back and forth between normal and blurry. Now, however, it is mostly blurry all the time to the point where I have a hard time reading letters and symbols. Large letters and television viewing are fine, no real blurriness. Do I need glasses? Is this related to my diabetes? Both?
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Karen Steinberg 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be from diabetes

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for using Healthcare Magic. Yes, this certainly could be related to your diabetes. High sugars can cause damage to the retina and blood vessels in the eye which could lead to visual problems and even blindness over a time. Also you are at an age where presbyopia could be starting. This is due to changes in the eye as we age, and causes difficultly seeing close up. In either case, glasses may be necessary.

People with diabetes should be getting annual eye exams by a specialist to monitor any changes caused by diabetes. There are treatments if the changes are caught early. I recommend you see an ophthalmologist promptly. You also should check in with your regular doctor. Intermittent blurry vision can be caused by poorly controlled diabetes, so it is important that you have this checked and are on the right medicines to control it.

Hope this helps. If you have further questions, I would be happy to answer them.