What causes blood in stool?

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Lump
Question: I am getting blood after my bowel movement.... it continues to happens for one to three weeks..then I will take only curd rice then it disappears and appears again after 3 -4months...now it's happening daily
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most lkely due to internal haemorrhoids.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM,

I have gone through your query. Your problem can be most likely due to internal haemorrhoids. Digital examination by a General surgeon or proctologist will be helpful to confirm this. He/she may ask you to undergo proctoscopy to rule out other problems also.

Taking stool softeners like Syp Lactulose 10 ml or Sorbitol at bed time will be helpful.

Please take more fiber rich food. Raw vegetable salads and whole fruits are good. Soaked dried prunes, soaked dates, prune juice are good also.

Take plenty of plain water daily. Avoid sitting for long periods.
These measures will be helpful to clear this.

Do you strain more while bowel movement or having constipation so often?
Do you have any abdominal pain?
Do you consume alcohol?

Let me know if anything is not clear. I'll be glad to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee