What causes blood in stool while on Ibuprofen?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I want to know what I can do now I have been very much worse since 2006. I am 66 years old.
This was when I started with Ankylosing Spondylitis, I already have had epilepsy Grand Mal and Petit Mal since 1961.
Now I am 5 stone was 3 stone overweight in 2005. I am now bed bound most of the time because my back and neck are both so painful I can not walk more than 10 yards.
Ibprofen makes me pass blood when I go to the toilet and the doctor has tested for Bowel Cancer.
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ankylosing Spondylitis

Detailed Answer:
Good evening

Thank you for writing on health care magic

Well, Ankylosing spondylitis is a bit of difficult disease to manage especially if you can take NSAIDS. I would like to know a few more details before guiding you further:

1. Was the bowel cancer sure?? Inflammatory bowel disease can be a complication of ankylosing spondylitis which can cause blood in stools..

2. If it is cancer, what treatment are they giving you?Chemotheraphy will work well for both the diseases...SO would like to know if they have started with any treatment

3. We can try giving you Sulfasalazine. Althought UK and US medicos dont think it works well in axial disease,it has shown to work well in our population and 70 % people have shown good response.

4. Lastly , if it is not cancer and inflammatory bowel disease cause blood in stools, it will benefit from Biological drugs as well.

Do let me know these queries

Would like to guide you further from there

Dr Naval
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina