• question-icon

What causes blood in stool, dizziness, fatigue and upset stomach?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: This morning I noticed blood in my stool. It wasn't a lot, but I didn't really check the toilet to see, I was kind of frightened. I noticed it on my toilet paper, it wasn't a dark red, it was kind of light, it looked fresh. I have bad anxiety, and I'm kind of a hypochondriac. Other symptoms I feel are slight dizziness, fatigue, and upset stomach. I got my blood tested and urine tested about a week ago and all those tests came back good.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most likely rectoanal fissure

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I can understand why you would feel frightened about this, but in someone your age, the most likely cause a an anal tear or fissure. This can happen when a person has a hard or large bowel movement. The blood is not mixed into the stool but can be seen on the toilet paper and sometimes in the toilet water.

It's also possible that from wiping vigorously or a lot, the anal tissue can bleed a little.

However, there is a small chance the bleeding could come from the stomach, but then the blood makes the stool look black and tarry. If the fatigue and dizziness are significant, go in to have a CBC again, even if it was done last week, as it can change. Also, the doctor can then take a look at your bottom to see if there is inflammation. And can test your stool for blood (although if there is a rectal tear or inflammation/irritation, testing blood for stool with a digital rectal exam won't be helpful).

So most likely this is a minor thing and will resolve quickly (next day or two) but if not, do go in as explained above.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Thank you. Also The stool that I passed wasn't large and it didn't hurt, it came out in a runny type form (The squirts). I had an upset stomach in the morning. Also my diet isn't the best and I didn't eat a lot of good foods yesterday. Also to go along with all of this I notice that I'm frequently urinating (it's not burning). I tend to over think everything, I am a very anxious individual and I can't stop thinking about it!
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts:

Detailed Answer:
If you wiped a lot because of diarrhea, and if it was a small amount of blood, it may have come from irritation from wiping.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 24 minutes later
It was my first wipe and I saw blood
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions:

Detailed Answer:
If you have a stomach flu, it may have resulted from that. However, if it persists, probably best to go in to get it checked out. But in someone your age, it is most likely not anything serious.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh