What causes blood in stool after consuming raspberries?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My 4.5 year old daughter had rasberries yesterday. These photos are from this evening. She had blood in her stool a few weeks ago, bright red, on the surface. She complained it hurt that time, so we attributed it to a tear. This time she said it didnt hurt, but when i examined, it looks like blood.

Could this be rasberries? Should i try keeping her off rasberries, blueberries, and everything else that can cause green stool or redness?

She's frequently appears bloated. We've stopped dairy and she only drinks lactose free milk. Concerned this could be symptomatic of infectious colitis
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query,
As per your query as raspberries are red hence undigested raspberries can impart red color to the feces,However the stool sample should be sent for microscopic examination(Stool routine and microscopy) to see if its blood or not.
No there is no need to keep her off fruits just get a stool routine and microscopy test done.
It could be colitis,It could be gastroenteritis.Stool test will make it clear whether there is infection or it's just due to her disturbed gastro intestinal flora.Our gut consists of its own environment of micro organism called gut flora.They are responsible for proper digestion of food.Once this flora is depleted by toxins many of G.I symptoms like loss of appetite ,feeling of fullness,Bloating,Belching etc can be there.
i would suggest you to take a good probiotic for 2 weeks. This will again replenish the depleted flora. Once the flora is replenished intestinal motility and secretions will be improved.Along with it digestive enzymes like Papain and Amylase can be taken twice daily before taking food for a week. Sylimarin a potent liver tonic can also be taken for a few days.
Eat a lot of fiber in diet 30-40 gram per day.
Have ispaghula husk 2 tsp twice daily.
No burger, pizza, over fried or spicy food.
Take lots of yogurt in diet.

Advice
Stool routine and microscopy test
Follow up with reports.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 5 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX

We will request a stool routine and microscopy. Are there any tests for bacteria that can be requested? We had an oral dna test performed by our denstist recently and my daughter had streptoccus pneumoniae. The dentist said she just needs to brush more frequently. Considering its in her mouth, could this type of infection also be in her GI tract? Any blood work you would recommend?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Streptococcus is a main cause of respiratory tract infections,Most important bacteria in gastro intestinal problem is Escherichia coli.
Stool routine and microscopy is a good test to find out the bacteria.
Right now i would advice you only two tests-
Stool routine and microscopy along with stool for occult blood test.
ultra sound abdomen.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad