What causes blood blister with white ring around it?

Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have what looks like a blood bister but with a white ring around the outside of it, near a blood test site, on top of an abscess, there is also another patch about 3cm below it which is a white patch surrounded by a browny grey patch. I am prone to abscesses but we don't yet know why. do you know what it is and is there anything I can do at home to treat it.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need to maintain proper local hygiene, blood tests

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I have seen the attached pictures.
You seem to be prone to recurrent development of infected skin lesions.
In such cases, proper cleaning of the affected areas is very essential .
I would advise you to use a diluted antiseptic lotion to clean the affected areas two to three times a day.
After this, apply a topical antibiotic cream like neosporin or mupirocin over the lesions twice a day. Do not apply any other cream or oil over the areas.
You might also need a course on oral antibiotics along. Since you have already been on antibiotics earlier, a pus culture and sensitivity test might be required to look for the effective antibiotic .
Since you are developing recurrent lesions, I think you must be checked to rule out common immunocompromising conditions like diabetes .
Also try not to touch or squeeze the blood filled blister. Just let it settle down by itself.
You should surely start with intake of oral multivitamin tablets so as to increase body immunity and speed up the healing process.

Dr Geetika Paul