Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes blood blister in penis with history of balanitis?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014
Excellent

Radiologist
Question
I have a 6 year old son who is not uncircumcised. Yesterday before bed he told me he thought there was dirt on his private area so I told him to take a shower. After a few minutes he said it wasn't coming off so I came to check on it and the right side of his foreskin looked bruised or like it had a blood blister. I asked him if it hurt and he said it didn't and only noticed it when he went to the bathroom. He and his brothers wrestle all the time but I don't remember him complaining to me about being hurt. He had Balanitis about a year ago and going through that plus weeks of research learning what that was I know it isn't that. I was thinking if it is some kind of a bruise after playing or being pinched or something maybe it would go away.. Today it hasn't worsened and he still says it doesn't hurt but now I am just a bit worried and will most likely take him to pediatric Urologist tomorrow just to make sure.. My question ; Should I be more worried or go to the E.R. tonight? Or if he isn't in pain and it isn't getting worse should I wait a bit longer to see how or if it is healing? thank you- MTM
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please consult pediatric urologist over next few days

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

With a history of balanitis a year back its important to consult a pediatric urologist over the next few days.

There is no need to get worried or rush to the ER as long he does not have pain, bleeding or obstruction to the passage of urine.

To me it looks more like a sequelae of the balanitis which he had one year ago. This however needs to be confirmed by your pediatric urologist.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek