• question-icon

What causes blocked ear along with cold and tinnitus?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hey dr,

I have been experiencing problems in my right ear for just over a month now. It first started with a blocked right ear during a minor cold about a month ago and after about 3 weeks it was still blocked. My doctor had a look and determined that there was also abit of wax in there. So I got it cleaned out and I can now generally hear a lot better but I am still experiencing a slight muffled hearing sensation just below the right ear and this weird form of tinnitus. I can hear my heartbeat in my right ear mainly only at night and when I rub my ear with my finger just below the earlobe it sounds like wind is blowing against my ear. Is this something serious and should I go to an ent? What exactly could it be?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible Diagnosis : Serous otitis media

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic,

Your symptoms are suggestive of Serous otitis media which is the collection of fluid in the middle ear.
Blockage of eustachian tube following cold results in the collection of fluid.

Since you do not have pain, infection is not likely.
You can use Oxymetazoline nasal drops. Use drops twice daily for 7 days. Do not use it for more than a week to avoid complications like mucosal atrophy.

Use saline nasal drops and steam inhalation twice daily.
You can also take an antihistamine/decongestant combination like Zyrtec-D once daily.

If the symptoms do not improve in 2 weeks, please be advised to follow up with an ENT specialist for confirmation of diagnosis and rule out possible infection.

Hope this answers your question
Please feel free to address further questions here

Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 4 hours later
One thing though is it bad that I can hear my heartbeat in my ear? This is something that recently starting happening within the last week? With the nasal spray is there a certain way you have to use it in order for it to reach the eustachian tube?Also would being exposed to loud noises make this condition in particular worse if I were to go out to a concert or nightclub? And would it still be ok to use noise cancelling ear plugs in the affected ear that I am having issues with or would that make it worse?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Hearing one's own heartbeat is due to the conductive hearing loss associated with fluid collection in the middle ear. It is commonly seen in serous otitis media and is not to be worried about.
You can spray the nasal spray medication into both nostrils and elevate your head for few seconds.
It is ok to go to concert or night club. The noise exposure there will not be a problem and you also safely use ear plug in the affected area.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal