What causes bloating, nausea and stomach pain?

Posted on Wed, 23 Apr 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I am 45 yrs old. Partial vag hyst 22 years ago. Not seen by an OB since. First of the year began with quite a bit of bloating. Some overall discomfort but nothing to get shook about. Left lower side seems more uncomfortable through to my back and even into my thigh. Bilateral breast tenderness on and off through the month. Waves of nausea. Terrible constipation even with daily colace. Unable to drop weight even though trying. Symptoms became more noticeable about 5 weeks ago and even sent me into the ER. Thought I might have an ileus (I have had before). CT indicates abnormal but nonspecific air and fluid filled distended loops -possibly infectious or inflammatory etiology? Sent home on clear liquids and antibiotics. That particular pain was gone within about 10 days but all other symptoms have remained. Initial CT also described a 3.2 cm fluid attenuating structure in right pelvis likely representing an ovarian cyst or lymphocele. Left not visualized. My internist sent me to GI. That dr wanted a CT entercolyisis This result indicates bilateral rim enhancing structures (no size given) on left and right ovaries possible corpus luteal in nature. Pelvic ultrasound is suggested. Pelvic ultrasound indicates the ovaries can't be identified because of overlying bowel gas. During this time I have tried to get into an OB. That's an impossible feat. I'm not a sick person. I don't have any chronic medical problems except for being overweight (195 and 5'3). Do I have reasons for concern or am I just being paranoid? Oh and family history of paternal grandmother dead of breast CA, sister dead of breast CA and maternal grandmother dead of colon CA.
Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 3 hours later
Brief Answer: You should be concerned till sonography reports. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns. 1) Yes, you should take your symptoms and CT report seriously as you have family history of cancer and the ovaries need to be visualized in full. I will advise you to get a repeat transvaginal sonography on empty stomach. You should get bowel preparation to reduce gases 1 day prior to sonography. Please do let me know what the sonography reports when they come. 2) Your symptoms of bloating & pain have nothing to do with your partial vaginal hysterectomy which occurred 22 years ago. But yes bloatedness can be a sign of ovarian cancer also as they cause bowel adhesions and obstruction pretty commonly. 3) Breast tenderness is mostly hormonal and common as you reach menopausal age (45-50). Unless it’s very severe you do not need any medications. 4) The nausea, constipation is due to the distended loops of intestine. Once again they can be due to ileus as you said or can be due to ovaries as I described. To summarize: Get a repeat transvaginal sonography with bowel preparation and if it comes normal you have nothing serious to concern about. Feel free to consult me directly http://bit.ly/drsombiswas Regards Dr. Som Biswas M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Som Biswas

OBGYN