What causes black discharge from the ear?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi Doctor,

I had wax removal procedure about a week ago. This procedure was carried out through suction process.

for last 3-4 days I am having pain and etching sensation in ear and feeling some sticky in the ear canal. I tried to check it with ear bud and observed that it's liquid in black color.

I am on tour and cannot see doctor. Please guide what to do in this case.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Either residual wax or fungal infection.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. The black liquid ear discharge is either residual ear wax or a fungal infection.

2. Ideally a quick ear examination will settle the diagnosis.

3. Pain and itching suggest and infection, mostly fungal. This happens after ear wax removal. Sometimes it is the infection trapped behind the ear wax that flares up after cleaning. Patients re told to report back if there is any discomfort.

4. Start Candibiotic ear drops 5 drops 5 times a day x 5 days. Take an OTC painkiller (after food) and anti allergy or cold medication till you can see an ENT Specialist who can decide about antibiotics and further medication or ear cleaning.. Keep the ear dry. Avoid cleaning the ear yourself.

5. Let me know the progress.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar