How can recurrent ear infections be treated?

ENT Specialist
Question
Dear Dr XXXXXXX

Few days back I reached out to you with a question about my son XXXX's recurrent ear infections. You suggested x ray to check adenoids enlargement. We got the x ray done. Doctor checked and said adenoids are not enlarged. Can you please suggest precautions to prevent future ear infections ? Do let us know if any other investigations need to be done.
Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chronic ear infections

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome again.
Thanks for the information.
Please tell me does the child develop any ear discharge during infections or it is just pain in the ears?
And attach the x-ray picture.
Any history of mouth breathing?
Follow up with the required information so that I can prescribe you accordingly.
Thanks and regards

Follow-up: How can recurrent ear infections be treated? 1 hour later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX
There is no discharge from the ear. XXXX keeps pulling his ears when he has ear infection. Each time doctor checks his ear and lets us know that he has ear infection. We are in the US so x ray is only sent to doctor. I am unable to attach the x ray as I don’t have access to it. Doctor checked and confirmed that adenoids are not enlarged. XXXX breathes from mouth when he has cold and ear infections. At other times, he does not breathe from mouth.

Thanks,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
ASOM

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the information.
Your kid is having eustachian tube blockage leading to otitis media. In acute stage there is severe pain due to increased pressure over the drums.
From all the complaints and history, my advise is you should give the child a combination of levocetrizine plus phenylepherine 5 ml three times a day and put xylometazoline kid nasal drops 2 drops 3 times a day.
Give ibugesic plus for pain or fever.
Try to build in a habit of nasal breathing by closing mouth and making him breathe through nose. This can be done gradually only an the it after you put nasal drops or child is fast asleep.
Give steam inhalation to the child.
Any surgical intervention is required only if all medical management fails or symptoms are severe or frequent.
All the medicines I have prescribed will be available only on prescription.
I hope my advise proves helpful.
You are always welcome with any queries in future too.
Thanks and regards

Follow-up: How can recurrent ear infections be treated? 22 minutes later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX

Thanks for detailed response and suggestions. Do you think Asthma can cause the symptoms I mentioned ? I am asking because doctors keep suspecting that XXXX has asthma.

Thanks,
XXXX XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ASOM

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Asthma won't ever cause ear symptoms. A nasal pathology causing ear symptoms can cause breathing problems.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards

Follow-up: How can recurrent ear infections be treated? 47 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX
Thanks for your guidance. You suggested some formula for XXXX. Can you please let us know the names of medicines ? Also let us know the frequency in which medicines need to be given to XXXX.

Thanks,
XXXX XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ASOM

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Give the medicines as prescribed earlier. I have mentioned the drug combinations. you can get febrex plus or cozymin syrup. Give the medicines for a week along with steam inhalation and nasal drops.
Thanks and regards