What causes back pain upon lying down?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Back Pain
Question: my back hurts when i lie down and when i get up it makes my calf and foot hurt. it goes away if i flex my leg or stretch it
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
MRI needed

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

Such kind of pain is usually seen in cases where there is a pinched nerve in the back .
This usually happens if there is a degenerative disc disease or a slipped disc causing compression of the spinal nerves that pass from calf to the legs.

I suggest you to get a MRI done of the lumbar spine to confirm the diagnosis.

Take analgesic anti inflammatory tablets with pregabalin,methycobalamin tablets.

Use a lumbar belt around the back region.

Apply local analgesic gel and do hot fomentation.

Do not lift heavy weight or bend forwards.
Do let me know once the reports are ready.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj