What causes anxiety while weaning off of Bystolic?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am weaning off bystolic 2.5 1x day and forgot to ask my doctor how long before it leaves system entirely. Once it’s left will there be side effects and for how long? Taking 75% dose 5 days, then 50% five days, then 25% 5 days, then none. Have been on 4 months and results have been erratic control with pulse and lots of anxiety.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can take 36 to 95 hours

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The half life of a medication is the the it takes for the amount of drug in the body to decrease by half.

It can take 3 to 5 half lives for a medication to be eliminated completely.

The half life of bystolic is 12 to 19 hours, this means that it can take 36 hour to 95 hours (basically 4 days), for it to be eliminated.

Side effects will not occur if the medication is no longer in your system

Not all medications have to be weaned. Medications such as steroids or sleep aids or epileptic medications or psychiatric medications ---- need to be weaned.

Bystolic is not typically a medication that needs to be weaned but if you feel more comfortable, you can continue decreasing the dose slowly.
It can usually just be stopped.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 9 minutes later
Wow, I didn't realize that. Everything I had read was the beta blockers were really dangerous to stop cold turkey. You think it's OK?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
lowest dose

Detailed Answer:
HI

The highest possible dose of bystolic is 20mg and you are currently using 2.5 which is the lowest dose.

You can stop it if you wish , you would need to make sure your doctor knows that you want to discontinue use