What causes altered taste in the mouth despite taking Zithromax?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have a strange and I would call a bad taste in my mouth. I noticed the symptoms the day after a cleaning at the dentists' office. Returned to dentist five days later. His advice was a possible bacterial infection not related to cleaning. Prescribed Zithromax, no relief after taking entire course. Also of note check-up was normal, healthy teeth and gums. I did have a cold prior to and following dentist appointment. No other changes in diet, no medications, same toothpaste, nothing different. Never experienced this before. Condition for twelve days now.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely infection due to improprerly steriled equipments used bydentist

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query,

Have noted all your details,

There are two possibilities-
1) It can be of reflux esophagitis overlapped with mild gastritis.Stomach acid regurgitated into the mouth produces a bad taste described as an acid or metallic taste.
2)Recent visit to dentist is supportive of a possible infection of the tonsils or one of the major salivary glands or pharynx,Responsible for bad taste.

Intially i would suggest you to go for swab routine and microscopy test of saliva followed by culture and sensitivity.This will help us to know whether bacterial infection is there or not,And to which antibiotic is bacteria sensitive.

Treatment with antibiotic therapy could be started after the results of swab cultures.
In case of any other professional query feel free to question.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D