question-icon

What causes acidity?

default
Posted on Mon, 6 Oct 2014
Question: What is the cause of acidity?
doctor
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail (21 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Acidity is persisting acid environment in stomach

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
By definition acidity is the consequence of excess acid in the stomach.

The stomach regularly generates hydrochloric acid (HCl) and this helps in digestion of food particles. The wall of the stomach consists of an epithelium made up of pits and glands. The two primary functional zones are the oxyntic gland area, representing approximately 80% of the organ, and the pyloric gland area representing the remaining 20%. Parietal cells, which predominate in the oxyntic glands, secrete hydrochloric acid.

Acidity refers to conditions were the acidic environment in the stomach persists. This may be due to

1. excess acid formation,
2. less acid utilization (due to fasting) leading to acid pooling and
3. backwards flow of the acid into the oesophagus (also known as gastrointestinal reflux disease.


This acid is neutralized by the intake of meals regularly. Complications due to uncontrolled acidity may include gastric ulcers.

You often experience symptoms like pain, heart burn. bloating and vomiting due to acidity.

Acidity is controlled by taking small regular meals, avoiding fasting and spicy meals. Medications like proton pump inhibitors are given to suppress gastric acid formation.

I have tried to give a very brief answer to your query. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Regards,
Dr.Vivek

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Practicing since :2002

Answered : 6719 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
What causes acidity?

Brief Answer: Acidity is persisting acid environment in stomach Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. By definition acidity is the consequence of excess acid in the stomach. The stomach regularly generates hydrochloric acid (HCl) and this helps in digestion of food particles. The wall of the stomach consists of an epithelium made up of pits and glands. The two primary functional zones are the oxyntic gland area, representing approximately 80% of the organ, and the pyloric gland area representing the remaining 20%. Parietal cells, which predominate in the oxyntic glands, secrete hydrochloric acid. Acidity refers to conditions were the acidic environment in the stomach persists. This may be due to 1. excess acid formation, 2. less acid utilization (due to fasting) leading to acid pooling and 3. backwards flow of the acid into the oesophagus (also known as gastrointestinal reflux disease. This acid is neutralized by the intake of meals regularly. Complications due to uncontrolled acidity may include gastric ulcers. You often experience symptoms like pain, heart burn. bloating and vomiting due to acidity. Acidity is controlled by taking small regular meals, avoiding fasting and spicy meals. Medications like proton pump inhibitors are given to suppress gastric acid formation. I have tried to give a very brief answer to your query. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek