• question-icon

What causes absence of good bacteria when being over treated for yeast infection?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in General Health
Question: I had a yeast infections this past summer... used Monistat and am having burning, itching, and irritation since. I went back to my ob/gyn and they did a swab and a culture and they said I overtreated my infection.... there is no yeast or bad bacteria, but all the good bacteria is gone. There is also no redness, swilling, or any sign that it should be hurting or irritated. I have been to a naturopath and an ayurvedic doc but have not had any real relief. I am taking a probiotic to help restore the good bacteria like my NP told me to do. This all start the beginning of July. I have no clue what to do.

The NP gave me Diflucan, twice, to make the infection go away. After the 2nd time, I still was having symptoms so I self treated with Monistat 3 times... a 1 day treatment, 3 day, and 7 day. After treating it the 3rd time with Monistat, I was still having the burning, irritation, and itchiness. But also when I had my actual infection, there was no discharge or funny smell. Only the intense itching and burning and irritation. So I went back to the doc and that's when they did the culture/swab and after 3 days of letting it incubate, told me there was no yeast or bacteria, but there was no good bacteria either.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lactobacillus will be helpful

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Absence of good bacteria can be due to overtreatment and it can lead to itching, burning and irritation of the vagina.
However, the good bacteria should be restored by proper treatment like lactobacillus containing medications and proper hydration.
I will suggest you to discuss with your doctor the need to take lactobacillus medication and treatment of bacterial vaginosis, if any.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine