What causes abdominal pain and constipation in a person suffering from kidney stones?

Dr. Amit Jain

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I recently went to the ER and was diagnosed with a kidney stone. They gave me Vicodin, an antibiotic and something to stop nausea. It has been 5 days since I had a bowel movement and I haven't passed the stone. My stomachs was bothering me and I spent an hour in the bathroom pushing out a very hard black bowel movement. It feels as though my rectum is still enlarged and I feel like I still have to go.
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Constipation is due to vicodil. Take laxative for temporary relief

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in HCM. I am a Gastroenterologist.

I hope the stone will pass soon, however the report which is uploaded is not readable. Constipation which you have is due to tablet vicodin you are taking.For constipation just take lots of fibres, may add psyllium fibres in your diet and take lots of fluid. You may also add laxative like syrup cremaffin plus which is a combination of liquid paraffin, sodium picosulphate, and magnesium salt. This I found very useful in my patients with constipation. Feeling of incomplete evacuation is due to formation of stool that is hard once you will pass soft stool this feeling will resolve.

The constipation will also improve with these medications and will be better once you will stop vicodin. I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Wish you a good health. If you have further query I will like to answer that too.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina