What causes abdominal pain and bloating with left sided pain?

Dr. Ashish Verma

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I've had an abdominal soreness for almost three days now. I feel bloated & stuffed even when I don't eat, but most of all it feels sore when ever I move or roll over while I'm lying down. It also hurts slightly to press by belly, especially to my lower left. I don't feel nauseous. My bowel movements have been pretty normal (twice a day) but sometimes I feel like I have to eliminate but can't. No diarhea. No specifically hard stools either. One description is that it feels like I sprained my stomach. Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
could be gastritis with mild colitis

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

You abdominal pain and bloating with left sided pain could be due to gastritis.

And for that, I will suggest that you take a course of ppi tablet like pantaprazole or omeprazole for few days and see the response. If it improves then you need to continue the ppi for two weeks to complete recovery. Also it will be better if you add a gastrokinetic drug like levosulpride or metaclopromide to it, as it will help in bowel clearence and hence reduce the load.

The pain in lower left abdomen could be due to colitis. It is caused mostly by bad gut bacterias, and they also lead to increased gas production and incomplete evacuation. So take a course of preprobiotics to replace the bad gut bacterias with good ones to restore the balance.

But for all these medicines, you need to see a local doctor for the prescription.

Hope i have been helpful.

Get well soon.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju