• question-icon

What causes abdominal bloating, pressure and pain in the navel?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have Bloating pressure in upper abdomen between navel and bottom of breastbone. Woke me up from sleet last night.No pain as such, but bloating is somewhat disabling. Defecation not affected. Have been taking prescribed antibiotics for ear infection - fluid in ear. I am diabetic, blood sugars usually well controlled, but not during present drug treatment.
Answered by Dr. Sunil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Due to antibiotic therapy gut microbiota is disturbed.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query dear patient.
The intestinal microflora is a complex ecosystem containing over 400 bacterial species. Anaerobes outnumber facultative anaerobes. The flora is sparse in the stomach and upper intestine, but luxuriant in the lower bowel.The intestinal flora is capable of fermenting indigestible carbohydrates (dietary fiber) to short-chain fatty acids such as acetate, propionate, and butyrate. The major source of such fermentable carbohydrate in the human colon is plant cell wall polysaccharides such as pectins, cellulose, and hemicellulose. The acids produced from these fiber substrates by bacteria can be an important energy source for the host.
The gut flora helps to neutralise some of the toxic by-products of digestion, reduce harmful substances (such as toxins and carcinogens), and discourage 'bad' bacteria and yeasts. It also helps to stimulate the digestive process and aid the absorption of nutrients, as well as producing vitamins including B and K.
So any problem with this flora causes symptoms like gastric pain,burping,poor digestion etc.Antibiotic therapy destroys this flora hence start taking a probiotic like econorm twice daily.Probiotics will help to restrore the depleted intestinal flora,Along with probiotics B complex are to be taken.Once the flora is replenished all problems related to digestion will improve.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist