What causes abdominal bloating, and a constant sharp pain around the belly button?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Thu, 23 Aug 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I've been having abdominal bloating that won't go away for months now. Even when I wake in the morning on an empty stomach I still feel bloated. I also get sharp, pulling pains throughout the day around the belly button area, more often to the right side. Sometimes hurts to stretch or when I push on when my hand. When I press on abdomen I can feel a hard "speed bump" like mass that's always there. Other random symptoms I've experienced, feeling lightheaded, tiredness, cloudy urine, strong smell to urine and sensitive eyes.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Due to slowing down of gastrointestinal movements

Detailed Answer:

I have gone very carefully through your query. Your problem seems to be due to gastritis or gastroesophageal reflux. Our gastrointestinal tract has a forward propulsive movement (peristalsis) that moves the food material forward as it is digested, absorbed and finally expelled as feces. If somehow this movement gets hampered, food along with the digestive juices would stagnate, stomach acid will reflux into the food pipe and on the other hand the bowel habits would not be proper. Degradation of undigested food in the intestines by the intestinal bacteria would lead to the excess gas formation and thereby bloating.

In order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Take Prilosec (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast.
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fiber intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* If I had a patient like you I would perhaps have suggested Prodep (fluoxetine) 20 mg tablet (long term anxiolytic and a prescription drug) once daily for at least 2 months (it may take time for the action to set in). Discuss about this with your treating physician.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.

Hope I have answered your query.

Take care,
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T