What causes a whitehead pimple on penis?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Thu, 16 Jul 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a white head spot that has appeared on my penis, the underneath feels like a solid lunp of tissue and when i squeeze it puss comes out and a small hole had appeared underneath it. I am current working in Angola and have had no sexual contact for almost 8 months, but NO sexual contact in Angola whatsoever. I am worried that it is an insect bite or bacterial infection! I have applied TCP to the area but the hard tissue under the spot has not subsided yet.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Does not exactly sound like an STD, but need some more information

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query and attached images with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. It is a good thing that you have not sexual contact off late, but could you also respond to the following questions which will help to better understand your situation:

+Have you masturbated some time prior to the appearance of the sore or appearance? If yes, then was it vigorous? Was it with or without a lubricant?
+How would you rate your level of hygiene on a scale of 0 to 5? 0 being poor and 5 being extremely careful
+Is it hot in Angola? Do you sweat in the groin regions often?
+Any itching or rubbing or any other vigorous activity some time prior to the appearance of the presentation?

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 9 minutes later
Thank you for your response, please see my answers to your questions below:
Yes, i maturbate most evenings, it was without lubricant and i would not say it was vigorous.
I am extremely careful, i run almost everyday and shower as soon as i finish.
Yes it is hot here and i often sweat in the groin area in my room.
No itching or rubbing prior to the appearance

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
A few suggestions, observe and report back in 3 days time

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again sir and thank you for your response.

I have the following recommendations:

+Stop masturbating for a while, you will have to practise some amount of self-control until you get better, I shall let you know when it is safe to do so again
+Apply a warm compress over the region from on top of your clothes several times a day, this is very important
+Use epsom salt in your bath water and take sitz baths several times a day
+Try to change your inner wear regularly, always carry an extra
+Try to keep the region clean and dry at all times
+Avoid jogging and any other activity that can result in friction and further irritation to the region

Observe if you experience any changes/improvement. Please keep in touch with me and write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 21 hours later
Thank you, there has been quite a bit of puss leakage today!! The tissue behind the skin has not increased/decreased in size as all. I will keep you posted on any further developments. I am due back to the UK on the 2nd July and will see my GP then. Can you advise what you believe is the cause and diagnosis so i can do some research please?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Good news, continue with the warm compress

Detailed Answer:
Hi sir.

The causes could be:

+Friction from dry masturbation (location most likely to be due to sexual activity or masturbation wound)
+Yeast infections
+Wound from friction wound getting becoming infected

Diagnosis would be an abscess due to non-lubricated vigorous activity around the glans penis

It is a very common condition, and the simple use of antibiotic cream (e.g. neomycin) should help; but it is also routine to rule out STD's, so just go about an STD-panel for our satisfaction.

Let the pus leak out, continue with the warm compress that I advised, and you should be fine soon. Keep in touch sir.

Best wishes.