What causes a sexually transmitted disease?
Herpes, Hpv, gonorrhea, chlamydia are usually local infection
Hello. Thank you for writing to us
I am Dr. Kakkar. I am a dermatologist and STD specialist. I have gone through your query and I have understood it.
STD's like herpes, hpv, gonorrhea, chlamydia would remain localised to the site of infection/ acquisition and therefore oral herpes would only get transmitted to a sexual partner by performing oral sex and not by vaginal sex or anal sex.
Other STDs like syphilis, particularly secondary syphilis does'nt respect these limitations and can transmit through oral or vaginal or anal sex provided there are active lesions of syphilis at these other mucosal sites.
HIV too, can be tranmitted through oral, vaginal or anal sex irrespective of whichever route it was initially acquired.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Does sexually transmitted diseases cause acne on face back stomach and chest
- What are the symptoms of sexually transmitted diseases?
- What could help me in preventing sexually transmitted diseases
- Oral sexually transmitted diseases
- Sexually transmitted diseases in men
- What test should be done to find sexually transmitted diseases
- Common sexually transmitted diseases
- Is morganella a sexually transmitted disease
- Sexually transmitted disease causes
- Metallosis and sexually transmitted disease