What causes a large bump rash on left leg and buttock of a child?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Skin Rash
Question: My 3 yr old grand daughter has a large bumpy rash resembling mosquito bites running along her left leg and buttock, but no itching or fever. What can it be? Should they apply hydrocortisone cream?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please upload images

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic. Skin conditions are best diagnosed only after seeing directly. I suggest you to upload photographs of the same on this website, so that I can guide you scientifically. Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 3 minutes later
I uploaded two pictures
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like urticaria or simple skin allergy

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

It looks like an urticarial or a simple skin allergy.

You can use Hydroxyzine at 1-2mg/kg/dose every 6th to 8th hourly for 7-10 days. Most important thing to be remembered is that it has a propensity to recur (called as second crop) within 10-14 days. If this happens, you can start using the same medicine but I suggest you get the kid evaluated with your paediatrician.

No need to apply hydrocortisone cream. Steroid can get absorbed from skin. This simple skin manifestation diesnt require Steroid.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,