What causes Pelvic floor dysfunction?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Mon, 21 Apr 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello Doctor, I have experienced chronic pelvic pain after morning bowel movement that can last the entire day and usually subsides in the evening. Pain radiates to my lower back, sometimes hips, lower abdomen. My urologist did extensive rectal exams, prostate and blood tests - all back negative. No blood in stools, occasional constipation, no urinary or sexual problems. I sleep well though the night. Can you tell me something about pelvic floor dysfunction, which seems to fit my symptoms. Or your opinion of what might be going on. I am 57 years of age, no other health issues, no Meds at all, perfect blood pressure, cholesterol. Fit, been a jogger for 30 years. Thank you. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Ultrasound scan is needed Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Pelvic floor dysfunction is wherein muscles of the pelvic floor are weak, spasmic and with or without sacroiliac joint abnormality and abnormality at coccyx, or hip joints. Soft tissues pelvis may also be weak and sensitive to minor movements leading to pain. The cause for the same is unknown but most of times postulated that it could be due to mechanical trauma to the before mentioned parts which could be during childbirth or any other gynecological incidents. This condition is very common in females and very rarely seen in males. I do not suspect Pelvic floor dysfunction to be a cause in you but is always recommended to rule out the same. You may have to get a Ultrasound scan of abdomen and pelvis and a blood test called C-reactive protein. Result of these tests may help to rule out pelvic floor problems and try to identify any other pelvic viscera related problems. Wish you good health. regards,