What casues excessive crying in an infant?

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: My baby is 4 month old and he is crying regularly, not drinking milk.
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
hold him in upright position against your shoulder

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sudershan,

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Crying excessively and not drinking milk is usually due to Colic.

Kids with Colic cry excess, some times inconsolable, and usually occurs at a fixed time in the evening.

And this is age specific phenomenon and usually subsides after 4 months of age and not seen after 5 months.

Once the Colic stops, the kid will be comfortable and drinks milk.

But other possible conditions have to be ruled out like ear, stomach infections by consulting a Pediatrician.

Hold the child in upright position against shoulder in a way that the child tummy touches your shoulder. This will give relief from Colic.

Butif the crying is persistent or the kid shows other features such as Vomitings, loose stools or irritability, I advice you to consult the Pediatrician immediately.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj