Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

What casues excessive crying in an infant?

Feb 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3176 Questions
My baby is 4 month old and he is crying regularly, not drinking milk.
Posted Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
hold him in upright position against your shoulder

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sudershan,

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Crying excessively and not drinking milk is usually due to Colic.

Kids with Colic cry excess, some times inconsolable, and usually occurs at a fixed time in the evening.

And this is age specific phenomenon and usually subsides after 4 months of age and not seen after 5 months.

Once the Colic stops, the kid will be comfortable and drinks milk.

But other possible conditions have to be ruled out like ear, stomach infections by consulting a Pediatrician.

Hold the child in upright position against shoulder in a way that the child tummy touches your shoulder. This will give relief from Colic.

Butif the crying is persistent or the kid shows other features such as Vomitings, loose stools or irritability, I advice you to consult the Pediatrician immediately.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor