Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

What cancer could cause a low WBC count? Done blood test

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
What cancer could cause a low wbc count? Last year mine was 5.2, six months ago 4.6, now I'm at a 4.08. Every other number was great. I thought most cancers would show up as a high wbc with the exception of certain blood cancers.
Posted Sun, 22 Jul 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Low WBC count occurs in those cancers in which the cancerous cells replace bone marrow (present in hip bone, sternum) and in those cases where the spleen is enlarged, which leads to a premature destruction of WBC occurs.
Low WBC may occur in aleukemic leukemia, it may be myelogenous, lymphocytic or monocytic
You have not mentioned reference normal limits in your question. Considering your reports, your values appear to be normal. At present, you dont have a low WBC count. I would want to know if a peripheral blood film exam has been done. We may want to look at that exam if we’re suspecting cancer.
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor