What can cause black thread like matter in semen?

Dr. Shinas Hussain

Posted on Mon, 24 Sep 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi doctor I've noticed some black fiber thread like particles in my sperm, I'm very much tensed, would you please help me to come out from this dilemma..???
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry that much.

Detailed Answer:

Black strands in semen is not an uncommon symptom and are of no clinical significance in men younger than 40 years of age. It is nothing but traces of blood that appears as dark strands.

Blood in semen can arise from minor infections of the prostate (prostatitis), Urethra (the tube that carries urine and semen from the penis), or Epididymis and vas deferens(tiny tube-like structures where sperm matures before ejaculation).

As of now, no treatment is required and it should subside by its own. If symptoms persist, please consult a urologist and get evaluated further.

Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Shinas Hussain 2 days later
today i swapped my scrotum with a wet tissue and I found hair loss on my scrotum it means that those black hair like strands I found in my condom were hairs of my scrotum, now again again I'm in dilemma why it's happening with me please suggest..
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry, Relax

Detailed Answer:

Scrotum contains the least amount of hair as compared to other body parts, so there is nothing to worry about it. The black threads may be hers.

I think there's nothing to worry in this scenario, but if you are still worried and tensed about it, you can go ahead for an Ultrasound of lower abdomen and pelvis including the scrotum for your own reassurance.

Thank You!

Dr. Shinas Hussain,