question-icon

What are the symptoms of valve regurgitation?

Posted on Mon, 18 Jul 2016
Question: How does a patient know if surgery is necessary for a leaky valve? I have Hypopituitary and adrenal insufficiency which make surgery rather dangerous. My cardiologist and I are discussing the situation.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka (39 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that generally speaking surgical treatment of a leaking valve may be necessary when there is evidence of severe valvulary regurgitation (confirmed by echocardiography), coupled with important clinical symptomatology (impaired physical capability such as shortness of breathing, weakness, fatigue during common daily activities) and also significant ventricular and atrial remodeling (this is revealed by echo and is specific for different affected valves).

Regarding your endocrine disorders, this is an important drawback when considering surgery, because cardiac surgery as well as other surgical procedures needs a very balanced endocrine status during periprocedural period.

It is important to perform a careful endocrine evaluation status by the underlying team (endocrinologist, internists and anesthesiologist) before proceeding to the recommended surgical treatment, if it is really necessary.

I would like to directly review your echocardiographic report in order to give a more specific professional opinion.

Hope to have been helpful!

I remain at your disposal for further questions whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist