What are the symptoms and treatment for lichen planus?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
what does this appear to be
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lichen planus

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query and I have understood it. I have also looked at the image

This is Lichen planus. Lichen planus presents as itchy, polygonal, flat papules and plaques mostly over the legs, flexor arms, sides of abdomen. Itching is a prominent feature.

Treatment of localized disease is with topical superpotent steroids e,g clobetasol propionate cream OR Halobetasol propionate cream, twice daily
An OTC antihistamine e.g cetrizine 10 mg once daily would provide symptomatic relief from itching.
In case of generalized disease oral steroids may be required.