What are the side effects of warfarin?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: thank you for your answer regarding warfarin are there any other side effects other than the ones you mentioned, even if minor? XXXX
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 2 days later
Brief Answer: Please read the answer below... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX! Yes the warfarin has a lot of side effects, some of them life threatening and some of them with minor effect on general health. 1. Side effects related to anti-coagulation effect ( bleeding) Severe bleeding Black stool or bleeding from the rectum Bleeding in the urine (hematuria) Skin conditions such as hives, a rash or itching Bruising in the hand, feet and body with minor trauma (you don't remember) 2. Side effect other than bleeding Fever and flu-like symptom Nausea, vomiting and a metallic taste Diarrhea Joint pain Pressure in the chest (pain) Erection that last more than four hours which is painful (Priapism) Skin necrosis, gangrene (this is a rare but XXXXXXX complication) Hope it answered to your question! Dr.Benard p.s. if you have more questions, please write back to me!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad