• question-icon

What are the side effects of prolonged usage of Metronidazole?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Hello Doctor Khan:
First off: Your email on the Zika virus worked out really well. I showed it to my brother-in-law, he showed it to the pregnant niece, she had a serious talk with her gynocologist and we had a fine visit up in Quesnel BC on the Easter weekend. So, many thanks for your efforts.
Back in October of 2015 I did a course of amoxillin trihydrate for a supposed sinus infection. The only thing to come of that was that I ended up with C. difficile. After the first course of metronidazole the dif was back in about seven days, after a second course of metronidazale it was back in under ten days. Since then (mid-January), I have been throwing back many probiotics as advised by my TCM practitioner and this is keeping it perfectly manageable.
My questions are: will pursuing this course have any ill effects on my health and will the bowel microbes eventually find a normal balance? I do not want to poison my system with yet another course of broad-spectrum antibiotics.
Sincerely,
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Avoid antibiotics until totally necessary,probiotics are perfectly fine sir

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again sir.

So very nice to hear from you again.

I am so glad that I could in some way contribute to getting your family back together again, it really makes staying up losing on sleep after a long days work, all worth it! :)

Probiotics are close to natural health aids that promote good digestion, and also eventually help with restoration of normal bacteria into the GIT (gastrointestinal tract).

There are also supplements such as (Yogulakt available in Moscow) that have to be kept in the fridge and taken only just before use, which are freeze-dried microflora that help restore the normal bacteria in the GIT. I am not sure whether this will be available on your side, but you should be able to find such equivalents that can be used to promote the regrowth and balance of microflora in your GIT; so please do speak to your doctor about them.

I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please do not hesitate to write to me about anything, anytime. I am always here to help sir. :) My best wishes to ma'am.

Dr. Shoaib Khan