What are the side effects of Flecainide and Metoprolol Succinate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2017
Mar 2017

Cardiologist
Question
I am an older lifetime Past Olympic athlete. First time I have needed to take metoprolol succinate 25mg and flecainide 100mg. Reason; if I have recurring Arrithmia exercise induced. It shows some help but....
Is it meant to be taken on a regular basis indefinitely, or until I have another cardio version, Also can I still do hard exercise; race pace? I have reduced my training to a level #1 HR ( 105- 120) during the hundreds of miles I cycle each week. Moved and am 1000 mi. from my curent cardiologist.
Sat, 14 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir

After going through the medical details provided by you I understand your concern and I would like to suggest you that as you have exercise induced Arrythmias then it's better not to indulge yourself in athletic grade exercises and just limit your exercise level to point where it will keep you fit.

The reason behind that is as you are taking metoprolol and Flecanide these will keep your heart rate on lower side and if you do sternous activity your heart rate won't rise which can cause dizziness or even loss of consiousness which could ultimately lead to injury. Any sort of physical injury at this age could be devastating.

So its advisable that you should limit your exercise levels to maintain fitness and enjoy your life.

I hope this information will answer your query.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu partap

Follow-up: What are the side effects of Flecainide and Metoprolol Succinate? 1 hour later
Is it the 'beta blocker"in metoprolol that keps me in the lower HR?
Why are these taken together.
What about my question about taking the pills indefinitely?
I do take Warfarin on a regular basis, due to dehydration in the past causing problems.
You seem to have taken the easy route for my questions.
What do you consider an elevated HR? I enjoy my life as a world class athlete even at my age!

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
With all due Respect Sir, i never take the problems of my patients in a light way. I find a sense of responsibility in answering to my patients. But i do answer them in a simple and useful way.

Regarding Metoprolol, it belongs to beta blockers group of medications that blocks the beta receptors in the conduction system of the heart thereby reducing the heart rate.

Yes you have to take these pills for rest of your life. These pills helps prevent the occurrence of cardiac arrythmias there by preventing the need of cardioversion.

Heart rate at rest or during daily routine activities (not even mild exercise) beyond 100 bpm is considered to be tachycardia and lower than 60 is bradycardia.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap