What are the side effects of Escitalopram?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Thu, 12 Mar 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I started taking 20mg Cipralex on Christmas day and before settling period of 4-6 weeks was changed meds to 20mg generic escitalopram. Since them my mornings are full of panic, anxiety and hopelessness. Symptoms ease in the p.m. Is this just the generic settling in and giving me side effects as if it were a new drug or should I ask to change back to Cipralex? Don't know how much longer I can cope with feeling this way.

I am on holiday Friday for two weeks - can I take2.5 mg diazepam as needed during difficult mornings? I have not taken this drug in any quantity regularly for 3 weeks - only 1 x 5mg one week followed by 1 x 2.5 mg on two separate occasions over 10 days.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may need to change back

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.

It is unusual to have such a reaction in changing from a brand name to a generic medication but it can happen. If you were not having these symptoms on the Cipralex then I would suggest asking your doctor to go back to that medication. It is true that it can take 4-6 weeks to build up blood levels and get the full effect of the medication, but your side effects seem pretty intolerable. These are not typical and may not resolve with continued use so I think going back to the brand name medication may be better for you. Try to get it changed as soon as possible and definitely before you go on holiday.

Good luck to you.
Dr. Robinson
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 3 hours later
Second part of question re: diazepam not answered.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Diazepam

Detailed Answer:
thanks for follow up. I can not advise you on the use of controlled substances on this forum. You will need to speak to your primary doctor about that.
Dr. Robinson
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj