What are the side effects of Bystolic?

Dr. Prasanna Heijebu

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi Dr I've been prescribed bystolic originally at 10 milligrams it was increased to 20 milligrams and over the course of the last 8 months I have packed on a lot of weight. And now I am noticing I am having labor breathing with minimal exertion what is the best way to taper off of this drug. From the research I have done this tends to be a side effect of the drug I don't like it and I want it to stop as soon as possible thank you. What is the best way to taper off this drug as soon as possible.

The other high blood pressure drugs I tried was metoporol it gave me a pounding heart beat so that's when he switch made by Stalin. When I notice that I have labored breathing feel exhausted my pulse rate remains normal its not racing.
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tapering schedule suggested.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Sir,

I can understand your concern.

The best way to taper this drug is to reduce it by 50%.

Take 10 mg daily for 5 days followed by 5mg for another 5 days.

This should be followed by 5mg on alternative day for another 5 days and finally stop the drug.This course can prevent rebound elevatio of blood pressure.

Please check with your physicain before attempting the drug tapering as it needs an expert supervision.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D