What are the side effects of Amlodipine and Atenolol?

Dr. Priyank Mody

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: can Amlodipine actually raise your blood pressure as a side effect? My doctor switched me to this med after I had a bad reaction to Atenolol, but my blood pressure is now higher than ever, and the drug switch is the only thing different for me.
Answered by Dr. Priyank Mody 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The rise in blood pressure is due to suddenly stopping atenolol

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I am Dr Mody and I will be addressing your concern.
NO amlodipine cannot increase your blood pressure rather it's an well established antihypertensive.
The reason why your blood pressure went up was sudden stoppage of atenolol, which is a beta blocker. When you are on atenolol for even more than a month there is up regulation of beta receptor in the body which are effectively blocked by atenolol , but when you suddenly stop it all these extra receptors will provide extra binding sites to adrenaline pushing your pressure even higher.
So the ideal means was to slowly taper atenolol off and build amlodipine. However as you have already stopped it, just increase the dose of Amlodipine temporarily and you should do good. If the pressure are still higher by 6 hours of extra amlodipine, half dose of atenolol till you meet your doctor.
Let me know if any further help needed.
Regards Dr Priyank Mody, Cardiologist, XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina